Friday, September 3, 2010

Delegate Lafferty's letter to RFC, Inc. and GTCCA re TU Fireworks

A letter from Delegate Lafferty re TU fireworks:

Dear Janice and Ed,

Last week I received an email from a resident of Rodgers Forge as a result of Towson University’s notification of two events in September where fireworks would be set off. The questions were:

“Are fireworks at a university football game a wise use of taxpayers money? Isn't there a better use for this money? I don't really see how fireworks would be contributing to anyone's education.”

I checked with Towson University and my response was:

I have learned that the Towson University Unitas Stadium was leased for the September 4th, I-95 Football Classic, a High School football event. The cost of the fireworks will be paid by the promoters of that event.

On September 11th, Towson University will host their first home football game and it will also be “Community Night” with fireworks after the game. The fireworks will be paid for by the Towson University Athletics Department which is funded by the University, boosters, concessions and rental income from leases on the Stadium.

Please let me know if you have additional questions on this issue.

Sincerely,

Steve



Stephen Lafferty
Delegate
District 42 - Baltimore County

2 comments:

  1. For Christ's sake...Towson is a college town! It could be a really fun place to live. Whomever wrote the letter calling fireworks, basically a waste of taxpayer money is incredibly out of touch, and ignorant to how universities make money, and how the towns in which universities reside make money. Everyone with a voice in Rodgers Forge seems as if they have one foot in the grave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't care if they're a waste of taxpayers' money, I just care that they went off at 10:30 at night and woke all my kids up and started a barking frenzy of every dog on my block. 10:30 p.m.??? Really, Towson? Fourth of July fireworks are normally 9. Just another example of Towson being an inconsiderate neighbor.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome! Please keep it clean and on topic. Posts with offensive language and personal attacks will be removed.