Friday, December 18, 2009

Area Traffic Project - FYI

Dear Constituents,


I am writing to provide information on an upcoming construction-related traffic shift for the project to reconstruct the I-695/Charles Street interchange and rehabilitate the I-695 bridge over along Light Rail.


According to the State Highway Administration, on or about 8 p.m. Sunday night, December 20, the Maryland Department of Transportation’s State Highway Administration (SHA) will install a long-term temporary split of the lanes along eastbound I-695 (Baltimore Beltway Inner Loop) between Exit 24, the I-83 North Interchange, and Exit 25, the MD 139 (Charles Street) Interchange, weather permitting.


Beginning 8 p.m. December 20, crews will remove and re-set highway pavement markings, concrete traffic barriers and overhead traffic signs along eastbound I-695 to create the new traffic pattern. During the night, the right lane of I-695 and the ramp from eastbound I-695 to Charles Street will be temporarily closed. Motorists wishing to reach Charles Street that night will be diverted to Exit 26, the York Road interchange, to westbound I-695 and back to the Charles Street interchange.


As of 6 a.m. Monday morning, December 21, weather permitting, the ramp from eastbound I-695 to Charles Street will re-open and the three lanes on eastbound I-695 between I-83 North and Charles Street will be split with concrete barriers separating the right lane from the center and left lanes. All lanes will be through lanes; however, motorists going from eastbound I-695 to Exit 25, MD 139 (Charles Street Interchange) must stay in the right lane to reach the exit ramp.


In case of inclement weather, the traffic shift will take place on the next night possible (December 21 or 22) before the Christmas holiday.


This traffic lane split is necessary for Phase Two of demolition and construction work on the I-695 bridge over the Light Rail tracks, originally built in 1954 and widened in 1969. SHA is rehabilitating the deck (riding surface) of this bridge as part of the $38 million I-695/Charles Street Interchange project. The bridge deck project is being done in three phases to allow all six lanes of the I-695 bridge over Light Rail to remain open to traffic during bridge rehabilitation work. During this phase, which begins the first week of January, crews will remove concrete from a section of the eastbound deck (riding surface) and replace it with new concrete.


Temporary overhead traffic signs and barriers will guide motorists through the work zone and temporary traffic patterns along eastbound I-695 between Exit 24, the I-83 North Interchange and Exit 25, the Charles Street Interchange. The State’s contractor for the entire I-695/Charles Street Interchange project is the Six-M Company of Delta, Pa. The traffic split will be in effect until spring 2010, weather permitting.


For more information about highway construction activities along I-695, citizens may contact SHA’s District Four Office at 410-229-2300, toll-free at 1-866-998-0367 or by email at shadistrict4@sha.state.md.us. Citizens may also contact the SHA project field office in Lutherville at 410-296-9041 for information regarding construction and traffic operations.


Very truly yours,

Delegate Susan L.M. Aumann

District 42 - Baltimore County

303 Lowe House Office Building

Annapolis, MD 21401

410-841-3258; FAX 410-841-3163

susan.aumann@house.state.md.us

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome! Please keep it clean and on topic. Posts with offensive language and personal attacks will be removed.